Ankara University Forensic Sciences Department was found to aim for searching, giving High Licencants and Doctorants and catching up experts about to Forensic Medicine Councile Fields due to number 2659 code in 28 March 1983. It was continued 1983. Higher Education Court Application Committee which meeting 18.05.1993 history and 93.19.794 number has decided to continue with Interdisciplinary Department for education and training in Ankara University Health Science Institute. Other activities depend on Ankara University. Directories of Institute appointed with Prof.Dr. Adnan ÖZTÜREL between 1983-1985; Assistance Professor Dr. Özer KENDİ between 1985-1989; Prof. Dr. İbrahim TUNALI between 1989-1991; Prof. Dr. Bahattin KORUCU between 1991-2003; Prof. Dr. Halil GÜMÜŞ between 2004-2010; Prof. Dr. Tülin SÖYLEMEZOĞLU between 2010-2013; Prof. Dr. İ.Hamit HANCI between 2013-2015. Prof.Dr. Aslıhan AVCI has administered to directory since 2015.
Prof. Dr. H. Sinan SÜZEN has been Institute Director since February 15th, 2016.
Institute of Forensic Science has been five departments which are Forensic Toxicology, Criminalistic, Forensic Biology, Forensic Genetic and Forensic Psychology.
Our mission is to give education at graduate level; to research; to train teaching staff and specialists who can expertise; to educate graduate students as modern in science, well-appointed, expert, constructive, creative, responsible citizens having professional ethics and universal values and as professionals who believe in the importance of educating during their life-time.
Our vision is to update interactive information continuously by providing national and international academic co-operation; to use teaching and learning methods leading students to research; to be an institution training scientists and experts with international professional and academic standards on an understanding of contemporary, active and participatory training.
1. DEPARTMENT of FORENSIC TOXICOLOGY: Thesis and non-thesis Master’s and Doctoral programs are implemented in Department of Forensic Chemistry and Forensic Toxicology. For Master’s Degree, it is required to be graduated from Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology or from faculties providing similar education. For PhD degree, Medical Doctor or Master’s Degree diploma equivalence branches is necessary. There are three laboratories containing devices of AAS, GC/MS, GC/FID and HPLC. In these laboratories, both samples are analyzed toxicologically and Master’s and Doctoral theses are carried out.
2. DEPARTMENT of CRIMINALISTICS: Master’s program in Physical Examinations and Criminalistics Program and doctoral program in Criminalistics are implemented. For Master’s Degree and PhD, to be graduated from faculties learning Science and Engineering, Forensic Department of Police Academies or from the School of Gendarmerie Officers is required.
3. DEPARTMENT of FORENSIC BIOLOGY: Master’s and Doctoral programs are implemented in this department with the purposes of giving information contained in the Institute of Forensic Medicine Act and set forth in the application of this Act, and of training staff for Institute of Forensic Sciences. Master’s and Doctoral programs contain theoretical and practical applications.
4. DEPARTMENT OF FORENSIC GENETICS: Scientific researches are carried our in this department. Research topics can be summarized in three categories: genetic polymorphisms, mitochondrial DNA damage and the relationship between genetic polymorphism and toxic effects. In near future, the necessary arrangements will be made for Master’s education.
5. DEPARTMENT of FORENSIC PSYCHOLOGY: For Master’s Degree, it is necessary to be graduated from Department of Psychology. For PhD degree, Master’s Degree in Psychology is required.
Subscribe to our institute brochure please click here.